- A Finite one: to eradicate cataract blindness from the two worst affected areas of India - Bihar state and western Odisha - by the end of the year 2020.
- A Legacy: leaving behind us hospitals run by and for local people, providing eye care, training and employment in the heart of their communities.
- An ongoing commitment: to continue the sharing of clinical knowledge, expertise and ideas that is at the core of our current partnership with Indian ophthalmic teams.
- We guarantee that every patient whose operation you fund is BLIND from cataract - unable to see even the top letter of the vision chart with either eye, most just able to count fingers or recognize a hand moving, many aware only of light. It is no easy task to bring these people in from remote locations to hospital. But all the teams we support do this.
- We are professionals who volunteer our time and skills. The Second Sight team includes eye specialists and non-medical volunteers who work alongside Indian teams.
- No donated money is used on salaries, admin or office costs. The SS office is still a corner of the founder’s bedroom!
- Second Sight people spend a great deal of time in the field. We need to. Rural Bihar and western Odisha can be difficult and volatile places. We need to experience first-hand the obstacles that our partner hospitals face.
- We are a small charity unencumbered by bureaucracy. We can act fast. This is crucial for our beneficiaries to whom the humdrum miracle of cataract surgery cannot come too soon.