- A Finite one: to eradicate cataract blindness from the two worst affected areas of India by 2020.
- A Legacy: to leave behind us Indian hospitals run by and for local people and providing the highest standards of eye-care, training and employment in the heart of their communities.
- Every patient we reach is BLIND from cataract. So we can guarantee that our work is a successful eradication of blindness programme, and that donors’ money is literally curing the blind.
- We are professionals who volunteer our time and skills. The Second Sight team includes eye specialists and non-medical volunteers who work alongside Indian teams.
- No donated money is used on salaries, admin or office costs.
- We bring education and training to local people in the rural areas where they live, where the need is greatest and where they want to remain.
- We spend a great deal of time in the field. In 13 years we have accumulated a detailed knowledge of the areas in which we work most notably rural Bihar and western Orissa.
- We are a small charity unencumbered by bureaucracy. We can act fast. This is crucial for our beneficiaries for whom the humdrum miracle of cataract surgery cannot come too soon.